Blog 1

When I hear about good writers, I often think that they are ones who have gotten all the words and grammar just right. I did not usually think about the technology and situations written by or about, it was always just making the commas and periods right. Often I have looked down on my writing because I knew that I was not the best in the grammar department. I never really thought about how I could be better in other situations.

Rhetoric is part of our everyday life. To "escape" rhetoric would be like trying to escape modern-day technology, it is just plain impossible. Rhetoric is deeply ingrained in our lives and society, used through many years and centuries of writing and works of text. Even if you were to escape writing, you have traces of rhetoric in everything else we do, from the choices we make to the way we talk, rhetoric is always there.

"Are you surprised to see this guide explain emotions and feelings as central to making knowledge instead of contrary to it? How does this guide's explanation of the role of emotion and feeling in rhetorical interaction line up with what your culture says their role should be?"
 -It was interesting that the writer here said that rhetoric is hugely impacted by the emotions, feelings, and the culture of the writer. When someone is writing a piece, they might be writing the same story or research, but their writing will be different just because they are a completely different person. I have known that a writer's emotions might change how they write, but I did not know that it was one of the biggest reasons that they would write in that fashion.

When I read about rhetoric, I can see how that could dictate how a Christian would live their life. Just like your background, feelings, emotions, or culture would affect how you write, the same factors are important in determining how you live as a Child of God. It also tells us that there is no "model" writer, or in this case Christian, therefore, even if you think you might not be a great witness for Christ, you might still be a blessing to other people. Isn't that really what Christianity is all about?

If I were to be completely honest, I would have to say I am still struggling with the concept of rhetoric. I can act like I know what I am talking about, faking it until you make it, but my confidence is still not very high. I am pretty sure that rhetoric is talking about everything relating to writing, but I am still fuzzy on where the rhetorical lines start and stop.


Comments