Blog ١١

Newcomers try to belong by matching the people in the community around them. People feel like they belong when people talk to them and are able to understand their thoughts and ideas. People might not want to participate in their community because they do not like the ideas and values the community stands for.

I can not really think of a person who lost their authority by what they did, but I can think of people who lost the respect of their peers because they said something. It's probably a fairly common occurrence, but you have high respect for a person, and then in a quick moment, they say something and you lose respect for them very quickly.

"Do you believe we use language choices unconsciously?"
I believe that is true. We tend to do a lot of stuff unconsciously once it is built into us. It is the same with language because we start with a goal to fit in and make our language change to account for that. After that change, we tend to speak with that language type whether we like it or not.

Moving schools I had to change the way I talked and acted to fit in more with the people around me. It wasn't too much of a change, I mostly just started using shortcuts while texting and used different phrases while talking than I would have had it been before the whole move.

I do not believe that there is anything I am not understanding right now. I feel confident and sure about what I am doing. As I said in blog 10, I have finished the paper and I feel like I know what I need to know for the sake of this concept.

Comments